View Single Post
Old Posted Jul 1, 2020, 5:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post
Houswife shows off her lemons.

old file of ebay pics

Across the street, on the other side of the tall fence, you can see a Star Cash Grocery Store.

Somewhere in my files I have similar photograph that, if I remember correctly, shows the same lady with her little boy....(perhaps I posted that photo) . . .it all seems vaguely familiar.

The other picture which you mentioned with the Star Cash Grocery in it.

Ebay

The store close up.

I found this ad for a Star Cash Grocery opening in San Pedro in 1921.

San Pedro Daily News 6 April 1921

133 S. Grand Ave. in the best unobstructed view from recent years.

GSV

Not overly promising on a first quick view ... but then I remembered a lesson from Lwize last week on remodeled facades and such like.

https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/sho...ostcount=54783

Could the Star Cash Grocery from the 1920's be the same building at 133 S. Grand these days.

Stitching together the old Star Cash store sign level from pieces of the two pictures.

The building is not symmetrical. That off-center block on top to the right must be hiding something. This maybe?

The building permits I could find don't detail a removed facade or the changes to the windows.

Returning to the picture of the Woman and Boy at the steps across the street, I scouted around and came up with this.

Steps leading up to a side door. Not as impressive as the old ones I grant you ... but steps nonetheless.

This is what it would have looked like in a 1927 aerial. Woman and Boy at the steps of 598 West 2nd Street. Lemon Girl is in the garden on the side of the house and the Star Cash Grocery now open across the street.

mil.library.ucsb.edu

What do ya think? Stretching it ... or a maybe.

Last edited by Noir_Noir; Jul 1, 2020 at 6:12 AM.