View Single Post
Old Posted May 30, 2019, 1:43 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtown,man View Post
I honestly don't understand the hate of Dubai.

A third world city has been transformed in 30 years to one of the richest. Their reliance on oil is right around 4 percent. They are pretty much the only oil rich middle eastern society that has welcomed the world and left oil behind.

Sure, as an urbanist, it leaves A LOT to be desired. But I know for a fact if one of their cool(and they have plenty of really nice skyscrapers) skyscrapers were being built in your city, you would shit your pants. Theres plenty of tacky buildings in Dubai, but they are forgotten in the sea of beautifully built scrapers.

Also, Dubai's Metro is very successful, something most American cities can't say. They have freaking bus stops with AC units in them while places like Alexandria are building 1 million dollar bus stops that are standard as they come. They are making slow progress at becoming more urban, but lets be real; its too damn hot most of the year. Therefore, the car will remain king.
Because most people are jealous and hate what they can't have/shines. Human nature. Dubai's amazing, love it. And I'm someone who loves urbanity/cities. Dubai has plenty of walkable urban areas that are better than the vast majority of us cities. They're just not as well known. Agree about the metro, it's great. Makes the ones here seem...dilapidated to put it nicely. It's truly one of the most beautiful cities I've ever seen.