View Single Post
Old Posted Jul 2, 2014, 6:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziobrop View Post
Heritage needs to be debated.
Issues need to be made public
HTNS Fails in this. Most of their website dates back to 2010 - its not current, they have limited presence in social media, they are not actively engaging the media on heritage issues in a timely manner, nor are they pushing publicly for improved legislation.

Regarding working with developers, there appears to be no middle ground. by demanding 100% preservation they loose an opportunity to work towards a better development/heritage protection. 22 commerce square could do a better job of preserving some of the buildings, but by taking a firm position that they all must be saved, they have set them selves up to loose on smaller gains.

FWIW I read a piece in their newsletter bemoaning the loss of heritage homes and Estates due to the construction of the south end rail cut. Much research went into this, and it was interesting to discover what was lost, but that bit of editorialization about an event that occurred almost 100 years ago is a bit much, but sadly reflective of HTNS attitude.
I'm a bit confused by your comments; you note that most of Heritage Trust's website dates back to 2010 - its not current; but then you note that you were reading their most recent newsletter (June 2014; http://htns.ca/pdf_Griffin/2014/GRIFFIN.jun.2014.pdf) this newsletter has very interesting info: Dennis Building, New Library, Commerce Square, Infants Home, early aerial photography of Halifax; all very interesting, well written, conciliatory, and topics that are often referred to in the Skyscraper forum. The newsletter seems very current, I'm unclear why you say it is not.