View Single Post
Old Posted Sep 25, 2006, 12:53 PM
Uniting Europe

Location: London, United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, Europe
@Yankee

The Constitution wasn't even a constitution in the way the US constitution is. Over 2/3ds was simply a redrafting of the existing treaties, to simplify and make clearer the current way of working.

Only 1/3 contained bew reforms to the existing EU structures as in more power for the European Parliament, holding Council of Minister votes in public, allowing citizen intiative bills.

If anything the constitution was a much more balanced document than any of the preceeding treaties.

@Downtown, who do you think is going to pay for the record US budget deficit? That's right you in the form of higher taxes, I bet those tax cuts don't seem so good now do they?

But anyway, tax rates vary wildly from EU member state to member state. Sweden has some of the highest taxes in the EU, but has a great economy, low unemployment, good growth, low inflation, low interest rates and some of the world's best known companies. So if I were you I wouldn't believe everything you think about European economies. Sweden shows you can combine social justice and economic growth.