View Single Post
Old Posted Sep 10, 2019, 8:25 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengler Avenue View Post
I just chanced upon this video from half a year ago. I haven't watched the whole thing yet but so far it seems interesting~
This was basically about Ontario. I wonder if the same phenomenon exists in Quebec to the same degree, and if it really is about the callers or if it's just something some recruiters imagine is needed. At times you see that the guy was talking to people in English and looking at English job ads.

I've said before that English Canadians tend to make a huge deal out of Canadian French being a special thing while they don't really think about say Canadian English vs. UK or Australian English in the same way. I could imagine an Anglophone recruiter knowing just enough about this to be dangerous and being convinced that a particular dialect or accent should be a job requirement.

I was in Europe recently and I encountered expat (Anglophone) Canadians there who regretted the fact that they couldn't speak French because they were taught Canadian French instead of standard European French. In reality they probably never learned much French at all, and it's not realistic to expect to learn a language over a few years in school and then live as a native speaker decades later using that knowledge.