View Single Post
Old Posted Apr 4, 2017, 1:20 AM
somewhere in-between

Alamo Drafthouse Kalamazoo continues past April 3 closing date

Kind of anti-development news...

Alamo Drafthouse, Downtown Kalamazoo's beer-and-full-meal-serving cineplex, was supposed to close today, but it is apparently remaining open for at least a few more days. The announcement was made rather abruptly two months ago that the 10 screen theater would close April 3, without any more information given as to why, or what would happen to it, or who might take it over.

I went there for the first time a few weeks ago with a group of friends, if only to experience it once (and to see Beauty and the Beast - of secondary importance). It was obvious that the employees were pretty much checked out. The service was weak, they had run out of nearly everything, and the place was almost empty. I find it hard to believe that a cinema that serves craft beers is struggling to survive in a city like Kalamazoo, but maybe there are other reasons beyond poor attendance.

I think most locals hope that a downtown cinema remains at this site in some capacity, but it was clear upon my visit that whoever takes it over, if anyone, should do some major renovations and updates, as the whole venue felt dated and worn down. The restrooms and theater spaces were especially raggedy.

Image: Alamo Drafthouse Exterior

Image: Interior lobby / bar area

Image: Jane Fonda is not 'phased' by the news of Alamo's immenent closing.
All Images Source: MLive

Quote:
Alamo Drafthouse Kalamazoo continues past April 3 closing date
By Al Jones, via MLive
April 03, 2017

KALAMAZOO, MI -- April 3 was not the final day of operation for the Alamo Drafthouse Cinema in downtown Kalamazoo. Showings at the 10-screen multiplex -- which introduced the dinner-with-a-movie concept to downtown Kalamazoo in November of 2013 -- will continue through Thursday and, perhaps, beyond. No new announcement has been made on when Alamo will end its tenure at 180 Portage St., said James Sanford, creative director for the venue. Alamo had stated in a social media posting on Feb. 1 that it would close on April 3. No reasons were provided for the closing.

"We are still open and we will continue to post our showtimes on the web site," Sanford said Monday, referring to www.drafthouse.com/kalamazoo.

Alamo Drafthouse Kalamazoo is one of a chain of about 25 theaters that are a part of Alamo Drafthouse Cinema, an Austin, Texas-based company that was started in 1997. When it announced plans to close its downtown Kalamazoo location, it indicated that EPR Properties, the owner of the 10-screen movie complex used by Alamo, hoped to announce a new theater operator soon. But none has yet been announced.

Link to the full article here.

Last edited by deja vu; Jun 9, 2017 at 11:35 PM.