View Single Post
Old Posted Feb 26, 2009, 8:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abner View Post
Kind of interesting that all the comments on that story are about how 110 mph is a waste of money and we should go whole hog. Wouldn't have minded getting ten times as much in the stimulus so that could happen. I would be pleasantly surprised if the Chicago lines got $2 billion of this money though.

The times he mentions are pretty lackluster. Chicago to Madison in under three hours? You can drive in two and a half, or even stop in Milwaukee first in just over three. It's only 170 miles.
Again, I think that we must remember that the money we're talking about now is just coming from the stimulus package. Seeing as a lot of road projects are getting money as well, that could bode well for us and rail when it's time to renew the Transportation Bill. Also, don't forget the posibility of the Olympics. If we get them, that'll mean even more money. 3 possible sources: stimulus, transit bill and olympics.

Also, the fact that Ray LaHood is the Transportation Secretary, could really be helpful. Even though he's a suburban republican, from what I understand, he likes rail transportation.