View Single Post
Old Posted Dec 23, 2012, 11:59 PM

I just took the Wolverine from Ann Arbor to Chicago a few days ago, and since it's one of the routes getting the most attention upgrade-wise, I'll share my experience. This was also my first time riding Amtrak as I usually fly.

First off, the tickets were cheaper than the cost of driving and the scheduled length was about the same, give or take 30 minutes due to traffic. Flying was also more expensive and considering the time to travel to/from the airport and other hassles it wouldn't have been any quicker.

The Ann Arbor station was not the nicest but it was functional. The waiting room was kind of small and packed with people but it's not like you have to arrive hours in advance so it's not really a big issue. I had already printed my ticket and arrived about 20 minutes before the scheduled departure time. Parking was free and only about a 5 minute walk over a bridge to the platform.

Once on board, I found the seats to be roomy, comfortable, and the overall condition of the rolling stock to be far nicer than a normal airliner. A nice wide aisle plenty big for 2 people to pass by was another obvious plus. There were 2 power outlets every 3 or so feet below the windows, so for the most part everyone had access to an outlet. The overhead compartments had ample room for suitcases and whatever else. Although Amtrak has size restrictions for carry on luggage, it didn't seem to be enforced.

I had a speedometer on my phone that I was checking every now and then, and for the most part the train was going the max allowed speed. The only exception to that would be the segment within Illinois which is obviously pretty congested. The highest speed I recorded was 115 mph. Unfortunately my GPS connection wasn't very good so I couldn't get a reliable average speed over the course of the trip, but if I had to guess I'd say it was probably 65-75 mph, not that far off Acelas average speed.

The cafe car was well stocked and prices were reasonable. All of the conductors were very nice and accomodating. When passengers didn't sit where they were supposed to they never moved them or said anything. (someone going to Jackson sat in front of me, on the Chicago-bound car)

As someone who flies regularly, I was kind of shocked to see there was absolutely no security of any kind. Just walk up and get on. On the way to Chicago I had my laptop with me and using my phone had internet the whole route except in a few rural areas. I was coming back during an evening when a snowstorm was supposed to hit the city causing hundreds of flights to be canceled, and although Union Station was a bit of a mess at the time, we still left exactly on time. (almost down to the second, it was strange) The train was maybe 70% full to Chicago, and 95% full leaving Chicago.

So bottom line: affordable, quick, relaxing.

Will definitely look into using Amtrak more.