View Single Post
Old Posted May 7, 2019, 1:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by libtard View Post
Yes, they are probably utilized even less than that number. Those carpooling numbers are facts. 11.2% of commuters carpool. Take the overall numbers of commuters, even factoring in the rapid bus that runs on HWY 1, utilization for HOV lanes has to be abysmal
That sounds like all guess work to me and not using and logic to back up your reasoning.

I could argue that if 11% of metro Vancouverites carpool, that it's not evenly distributed.

The statscan document says 20% of Vancouverites take transit, but as we all know, from many studies done focusing on specific areas, that that number is not a constant across the Metro. Some areas will see over 40% share, while other will see far less. That difference is attributed to the availability and quality of transit in those areas.

It also says that 6.7% of commuters walk, and I for sure do not see any pedestrians walking along highway one.

So logically, I would infer that areas with more roadspace dedicated to carpooling, will attract a higher number of carpoolers than somewhere with no advantage to carpooling.

People from the West End aren't going to Carpool downtown, they are going to walk. People from Joyce aren't going to carpool downtown, they are going take transit. People who do short trips by car, probably do it alone because the odds of being on someone else's route is smaller the shorter your trip.

The people likeliest to carpool are those that live near, or commute along routes with, carpool lanes. So I would argue that while region wide the number of commuters who carpool is 11%, the share on Highway 1 is higher.

The use of HOV lanes also extends beyond statscan commuter data. A lot of people travelling outside of reasons for work travel together. Whether it's people on trips for personal reasons, out shopping, or making appointments, many of those trips are done with more than one person in the car. They aren't carpooling to work, but they aren't single occupancy vehicles either. And those people will also benefit from HOV lanes.

And it on top of it, it sounds like you have never traveled on the HOV portion of Highway 1. I can attest that the many times I've driven on the roadway, that the use of the HOV lanes is not abysmal.