View Single Post
Old Posted Sep 19, 2020, 7:20 PM
REAL Kiwi!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocman View Post
We’ve done a pretty terrible job of forest management. Donald is right about that, except for the small detail that the feds own and are responsible for 69% of the forests on the west coast.

But we don’t do enough controlled burns with the land California owns and that probably has to do with the continued cycle of allowing people to rebuild and expand out into the wilderness. Shockingly, California hasn’t even reached a point where we’ll seriously talk about mitigating these yearly wildfires, beyond blaming climate change which we can easily deflect onto the rest of the world.

I’d like to hear something out of Newsom’s mouth other than “climate change is real. Believe science.” as if we have no responsibility and are helpless in mitigating these disasters. Ok, climate change is real. Lowering CO emission is important. Fine. That isn't going to stop these massives fires from continuing. Can we actually respond to these effects of climate change by changing our behavior by not rebuilding and not incentivize people to build into unsafe areas?

The Wildfires Show That Stopping Climate Change Is No Longer Enough
Agree. Newsome is disconnected from so many issues and ignores other factors.
We know for a fact this year we have had; arson, lightning, gender reveal parties, outdated electrical infrastructure, and mismanaged forest/brush control. Those all have zero to do with climate change.
I would be in favor for also having Cal Fire assess problem areas and even work on management during the "off" season. They have become a large agency with tons of employees.