View Single Post
Old Posted Apr 20, 2010, 5:24 PM

With the recent developments on the Salter block - I wanted to float the idea of talking about the block that is south of the Twisted Sisters location. It contains two Federal Government Buildings (from birds eye on Bing, they appear to be 4 stories for one and 10 stories for the other).

I had a look at the site on HRM GIS and there is a view plane that cuts the corner by Salter, but otherwise the site is free and clear of any other restrictions other than the rampart height.

Certainly the parking lots on the site are quite a waste of what could be valuable downtown land - that has some good height potential. This might be an excellent location for either a combo office tower/high class hotel (Fairmont maybe?) and then with some sort of observation deck on top? I know it had been talked about before - why not encorporate it here?

I suggest Fairmont because of the really nice hotel they built in Vancouver - the Pacific Rim. If the hotel market is saturated - could still be office only or even residential with ground floor commercial (Halifax dt could use some more density). The site would be big enough for probably two towers, maybe even three. Thoughts?

Also the Marriott site might also be good for re-development to something taller?