View Single Post
Old Posted Mar 24, 2010, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
Part of the issue is that there just aren't any sites for these sorts of stores to move into. The city wants to use SGR and Queen for the library and possibly keep the old library site, the Roy Building is sitting empty in limbo, and so on. One big potential spot would be the Dairy Queen building and adjacent lot at Spring Garden Road and South Park; that is another extremely good corner for retail.
I don't really think big stores like that should be in a main downtown location like SGR, but then I think to Vancouver and can see the case to allow them. I stayed at the Westin Grand a couple months ago and about a block up was an IGA market garden and above it a homesense (above that was condos).

The only places I could think of that a big store like that might fit would be into Spring Garden Place and then next to City Centre Atlantic (where the CIBC is and then those 3 older buildings on the other side). You could take take down the CIBC and move it inside City Centre and then put a big box retail in that space and above. Same with the other two buildings. The only other spots that might work would be the parking lots - since they could be redeveloped - but being off SGR I don't know how well that would work.

The Sam the record man space on Barrington might have been a good spot for something; but I don't know if it would be enough space.

I still think that perhaps Gottingen Street and Arigcola might be really great spots to redevelop with these sorts of stores on the bottom and then some condos above.