View Single Post
Old Posted Feb 27, 2007, 10:55 AM
Karma Police

Quote:
Originally Posted by zilfondel View Post
I'm sure that something akin to earthquake-proofing the existing I-5 bridge (which is otherwise completely structurally sound), adding a new non-freeway bridge from Hayden Island to Vancouver with bicycle and MAX, and a new triple-tracked railbridge that actually lines up with the existing I-5 bridge's lift span is just TOO crazy of an idea. Good thing they aren't, you know, considering it as an alternative.
Currently, the lift span of the rail bridge is mid-channel while the I-5 liftspans are closer to the north bank, forcing zigzag maneuvers for the river pilots. Since the I-5 bridges ARE structurally sound (as Z said) and the rail bridge is likely close to its end-of-life, it makes sense to replace the rail bridge.

This is exactly what SHOULD be done. Align the lift spans of a new multi-modal bridge with the existing I-5 lift spans. Reroute all local truck and rail freight traffic coming to and from the port facilities to the new bridge. Add a third feight rail for added capacity. Add light rail. Add access to Hayden Island for local automobile traffic. Add bike lanes and a walkway. Voila, problems solved.

In the meantime, they could start seismically upgrading the twin bridges. No widening of the freeway to 12 lanes, no rebuilding of interchanges, no shifting of bottlenecks further south. The lack of shoulders on the bridge can be mitigated with tow trucks stationed at both ends for immediate response to breakdowns. Bridge lifts are already prohibited during rush hours, and reader boards north and south can notify interstate through traffic of upcoming lifts in time to detour to I-205.