View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 24, 2014, 7:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nilan8888 View Post

Does all this activity mean a rejuvination of Downtown? There's been a lot of major projects and investment going on, but I'm not sure if that's translated into new businesses at street level yet. Do we have to wait for more residential towers to be built before the demand increases and the effect is felt?

I can't see how all these modifications could possibly fail in making the downtown a more desirable place to live, to locate your business, and more central all-around. Yet as recently as 2013 you get these news stories of there being less people downtown these days than ever...
I think partly, yes,we have to wait for more residential to come online...the new development and attractions will bring more visitors from other parts of the city, which is good, but a larger permanent population will definitely perk up the retail sector.

As far as those news stories, I think the local newsmedia are just addicted to negative stories. The state of journalism in Halifax is horrible--reporters can't even get basic facts straight, and rely largely on assumptions (which tend to the pessimistic) and hearsay. Hell, every major local media outlet reported yesterday that Nova Scotia has the country's second highest per capita debt, even though it's actually in fourth place. And yet big blaring headlines declared a wildly incorrect fact. Media here is abysmal.