View Single Post
Old Posted Feb 12, 2024, 6:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHonestMaple View Post
I never understood why they didn't just widen the Hunter Street tunnel to allow two tracks, instead of spending millions on the West Harbour Station.
The Hunter St Tunnel is too small to fit two tracks with modern train clear heights required from my understanding.

Longer term, I could see GO looking to extend 15-minute electrified service into Hamilton from Burlington GO where it is currently scheduled to end, and doing that through an upgraded Hunter St. tunnel to allow for a dedicated GO track through the tunnel. That won't be a for a while though, and it would be expensive as they would basically have to close Hunter St for a couple of years to completely demolish and rebuild the tunnel so that it can properly fit 2 tracks, probably costing a few hundred million.

What we want to look forward to in the short term is 30-minute service to West Harbour, which is about as good as we can expect for now. Ideally a bit further down the road Metrolinx can look at upgrading services to Hunter GO, but that'll be more expensive. Metrolinx focused expansion to West Harbour as it was far cheaper than rebuilding the Hunter St tunnel.