View Single Post
Old Posted Dec 18, 2017, 3:22 PM
Fizzix geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
When it comes to commuter rail I think the problem is mainly that the city and province aren't spending enough on transit. There is no dilemma between financing a project like this and financing commuter rail. HRM has a large tax base and a low debt, but is too timid with infrastructure development.
Frankly we seem to have fallen into the trap where Nova Scotia is a society that won't take bold risks because it is afraid of failure. It is a huge source of frustration for me that failing in a bold initiative is treated in this province simply as "failure" rather than an opportunity to "learn and try again". Those jurisdictions that we always hear politicians etc saying that we aspire to be, fundamentally understand the need to celebrate those serial innovators who understand the role of failure in the process of change and innovation. Instead, and this forum is occasionally rife with it, anyone in NS who fails is derided with smarmy remarks and put downs that act only to dampen enthusiasm for strategic risk. Rather than putting people down and making derogatory comments about them, we should be celebrating people/governments/businesses who are willing to take calculated risks, perhaps fail, learn from mistakes, and try again. By not doing so we are stuck in an endless economic rut where we keep trying the same low-risk strategies again and again. It is no wonder that many of the Nova Scotians who have gone on to major success as innovators did so after leaving here and going to places that actually get it. To me, this is all part and parcel with the lack of desire to attempt bold initiatives in transportation infrastructure... what if it doesn't work out exactly as planned??!