View Single Post
Old Posted Dec 6, 2012, 8:09 PM

Lafayette Park Place

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcarlton View Post
858 North La Fayette Park Place, Los Angeles CA. 858 N La Fayette Park Pl is in the Silver Lake neighborhood in Los Angeles, CA and in ZIP Code 90026.
I knew that street name rang a bell. As I've mentioned here before several times, my mother worked for Utter-McKinley Mortuaries in the 1930s and '40s as Maytor H. McKinley's personal executive secretary.

The grand McKinley mansion was located at 310 Lafayette Park Place. I remember visiting that house many times as a toddler. (My mom and the McKinleys remained good friends all the rest of their lives.)

Here are some excerpts from a magazine article about MHM from 1946. It contains the only picture I have of the now-vanished McKinley mansion (other than the one in my mind's eye). The place was a real palace inside. It was certainly the biggest house I had ever been in, at that age.

Does anyone here have a better/larger picture of this house? I'd guess the most likely candidate for this would be GaylordWilshire!

Mom at UMM's flagship Viewpark chapel at 3719 West Slauson, in 1941.

I still have the Winton wristwatch Mother is wearing there. It was a gift to her from Mr. McKinley.

-Scott

Last edited by Los Angeles Past; Dec 27, 2017 at 1:28 AM. Reason: Repaired broken image links