View Single Post
Old Posted Nov 11, 2009, 6:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Los Angeles Past View Post
*sighs* The gas tanks. Those things were iconic to me when I was a child. So were the big, brightly-colored ventilation fans on the roof of the Friedman Bag Co. building in front of them! When exactly were the gas tanks removed? In my mind's eye, they were still there around 1980, but clearly that recollection is mistaken. Also, when did the Brew 102 building meet its end? See how much I missed not living in L.A. for the last 26 years?
I'm nostalgic for the Brew 102 building. I remember being fascinated by it as a kid when I would ride in the car with my family and we'd drive right by that building on the freeway (I didn't learn it was the Brew 102 building until I became an adult). What fascinated me about it was that it looked really old to me, and it was right up against the 101 freeway. In my mind as a kid, I thought it was odd that they would build a building right up against the freeway, when of course the building pre-dated the freeway and it was the freeway that was built up against the building, which created a little jog in the freeway. I don't remember when the Brew 102 building was demolished; mid or late 90s, maybe? Maybe a little later than that? I don't know, but even after it was gone, the jog in the freeway was still there for years. I think now with the Metro Gold Line Extension construction and the addition/reconfiguring of on and off ramps, even the jog in the freeway is now gone.

~ Charles Bukowski