View Single Post
Old Posted Apr 23, 2014, 6:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
I think the common factor here is lazy, uncritical reporting that parrots back what developers or heritage lobbyists say without challenging any of it.

Like you say, a development like this should be carefully evaluated and that takes time. Ideally the city will get a better building as a result. On the flip side of this, it's ridiculous that we've seen 3-4 years of absurd posturing over a convention centre that at this point is well under construction. The NIMBY lobby is pretending it's still up for debate when in reality there was extensive debate and public consultation that is now finished, and just about everybody else seems happy with the result. Time to move on.
Well said - that's the problem we run into a lot in Calgary in our growth areas. I did a public meeting last night for a project in Hillhurst and was amazed that we still had people debating the point of whether mixed use 6-8 storey buildings were appropriate on that street. I've come to the conclusion that for at least our work out here, the time of the 'passive' planner (being quiet, reserved) is over. So now I come out swinging and tell them; sorry that boat has sailed - whether you agree with it or not, Council has passed this plan and this is what we are here to implement. You are being asked about the design; what elements are good, okay and could be improved but the height is what council wants, along with the density.

I suspect they will likely appeal my project; but so be it. I'll work to get it to a reasonable balance of the community issues, policy requirements and city rules/regs and then get it to our planning commission for approval. But I've noticed with our folks a significant push back on our efforts and us digging our heals in or pushing back just as hard. I think that's good...