View Single Post
Old Posted Apr 1, 2014, 7:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DistrictDirt View Post
I'm not in the Valley often but my wife and I make the trip a couple times a year when she's craving Sri Lankan food- there's a couple of restaurants up there.

Anyway, we went this past weekend and I noticed that everything felt more...spruced up. Driving up White Oak, it looks like the city repaved and striped bike lanes. A lot of the single family homes looked like they had also received new coats of paint. Everything was clean and tidy. I still would probably never leave a walkable neighborhood like Downtown for the Valley but its the first time I found myself thinking "hey this looks (dare I say it) nice!"
I've lived in the Valley for a decent amount of my life and it's hard to not notice that the Valley has some solid bones in order to be an ideal area. The homes and neighborhoods throughout the Valley are pretty nice. But the Valley fails when it comes to its major streets. The major streets in the Valley are full of liquor shops, crappy looking apartments, and strip malls. If the Valley started to improve its main streets, I'm sure people would begin to consider it as a serious contender as an ideal place to live in LA.

If North Hollywood continues to gentrify, these Warner Center projects go through, and if Van Nuys Blvd. finally gets its act together, the Valley could even be...a cool destination (that sentence felt weird to type).