View Single Post
Old Posted Jun 7, 2011, 6:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
Buses would instead run on the surface... I'm not sure if "on the surface" means a bus mall, or simply dedicated lanes. I've always thought a Clinton bus mall might work nicely. The State Street mall was a failure, but only because of poor design, and because of other forces conspiring to push the Loop into decay... I don't think it disproves the entire concept. Of course, you would need to work with the business owners along the street... like allowing after-hours access to trucks for deliveries so that Clinton can remain a busy retail street.
So do you mean that the buses would travel on the surface of Clinton Street, over the existing grade crossing? Or is the grade separation of Clinton and closure of Canal still planned?

Rather than a two-way bus mall on Clinton, a plan that I read about on here (which I thought was the current official plan) makes sense to me:

Carrol Street->
South on Clinton, under Railroad->
East on Jackson->
North on Canal->
Northwest on Milwaukee->
North on Clinton, under Railroad->
Carrol Street

Seems to me that allowing buses to use Carroll Street and putting dedicated lanes for them on Clinton and Canal does not necessarily exclude installing rails and using them as dual purpose bus/streetcar lanes.