View Single Post
Old Posted Oct 28, 2007, 2:48 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordo View Post
Everyone concentrates on the "free Federal money". What about the remaining $600 million that is not coming from Federal sources? What about the millions of dollars per year in new operational costs? Could these not be better spent other places?

$300 million spent on other projects would do more to improve transit that $1.3 billion will on this project - I think that is the point being made by many in SF.
Well, "many in SF" don't have to take the 30 Stockton and don't much care about the plight of those who do--or the Chinatown merchants. I think the line will be useful and will be used. At the very least, it will provide a direct route from CalTrain (and BayView) to Market St. (a few blocks west of the TransBay) and Union Square.

Of the other money, $200 million is from the state bonds and whose to say what we would get for something else. That means we might really only use about $400 million for other uses and that's over quite a number of years. I don't know if there would be better ways to spend that or not.