View Single Post
Old Posted Aug 21, 2020, 4:41 AM
Skyriser

Quote:
Originally Posted by exit2lef View Post
Yes, and that’s a pretty unusual situation (having electricity provided by a city government) that gives the mayor more power (sorry, couldn’t resist) to enforce things.
Threatening to cut the power was the better option rather than simply arresting the people involved. LAPD had been out there a few times before and they could have been much more strict. Ignoring public health orders is a misdemeanor in California with fines up to $1500 and 30 days in jail, but nobody seems to want to go that route. SJPD has been out to other situations near where I live and didn't arrest anyone.

On the other hand, I do think that cutting utilities off seems to be extrajudicial in any case. It's hard when the rule of law is more heavy handed.

Quote:
If that’s the case, this might be a valid tactic. I just hope they’re taking steps to be absolutely sure that power it not cut off inadvertently to vulnerable residents.
They're not. We're not even close to that. The strictest thing I've ever seen is local governments are voting to issue $100 tickets to people who don't wear masks when they should. That seems more symbolic than anything else, infractions are on the lowest priority of law enforcement here.