View Single Post
Old Posted Sep 5, 2019, 3:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lio45 View Post
Silver Maple loses limbs pretty easily, it's a fragile tree and I definitely wouldn't recommend it. I still have a massive one at one property (where no A/C is needed - it towers over the building like a giant umbrella) and I'm considering getting rid of it due to the risk.

Grows very fast, though.

If they are planted on the ROW that belongs to the City (who will be liable if they do any damage) then okay, no downside then.

Also, they attract squirrels, they love them. Mine is always full. They're cute to watch.

I wanted to get myself some elms of DED-resistant cultivars, but they're all sold in the USA and the only places where it would be logical for me to plant elms are in Quebec. (I am almost certain I located a massive elm in the forest on my NH lands though... not sure as I'm no expert on elms, they're all long gone here. I don't recall ever seeing an American Elm in person ever since I started being interested in trees.)
Silver's can have that tendency, though its really about pruning, keep them from developing overly large, heavy spread limbs, and they really aren't that bad.

Elm's are pretty easy to ID, relatively distinct leaf, and most have a very clear form when growing in the open.........you can see a Vee-shape at the top...

From the Lost Rivers website.......see this image below:

PS, any tree you have that seems to be naturally dutch-elm resistant will have seed that is of interest to nurseries and researchers.

PPS, also note the form of the Silver Maple......bet you never find one like that at the typical nursery. Many nurseries are guilty of encouraging multi-stem growth because it looks pretty, when young, they never seem to mention the implications in 20 years time.....