View Single Post
Old Posted Nov 11, 2019, 12:01 AM

There seems to be a lot of validity to establishing this museum, considering the historic contributions of Chinese people to the building of Vancouver, from the Chinese railway workers on up....
However, what about other groups? For example, in Seattle, where the largest "pioneer" immigrant group was the Scandinavians, there is a Nordic Museum.
After World War II, and before, many Germans came to BC and worked hard to help build out the economy here. I'm not saying that there should necessarily be a German History museum here.
What I am saying is that, as mentioned in the news film clip, there was mentioned a "gesture of reconciliation," associated with the museum. OK, What about the Japanese?
During the WW II, Japanese people had their property confiscated and were sent to live in camps in places in the BC Interior, such as Vernon. What about a Japanese museum?
Or other groups that have played a significant role in our history? Does this only apply to groups who were discriminated against? Is this more a gesture of Political Correctness than history?
I think an examination of who we are honouring, why we are honouring them, and what heritage infrastructure we are building could be in order. A lot of nations played a role here.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Nordic_Museum