View Single Post
Old Posted Mar 11, 2015, 3:57 PM
Majestic

I've sunk about 7 hours into the game so far.

Pros
  • allows you to freeform your roads and zone layouts, giving you a lot of flexibility as to how you design your city
  • options menu hits most of the critical points with regards to game setup
  • steam achievements that are turned off when playing with mods
  • mod support through the steam workshop
  • the game is extremely light. This is one of the things that made CitiesXL horrible to play -- it was poorly optimized and was a heavy even on very good sytem
  • the game doesn't throw too much at your right at the start -- the game gives you a small set of options and the tutorial is built right in
  • there is quite a bit of depth to the budget system -- OTOH, it's relatively easy to start making big money once you have your city on the go
  • in the place of advisors that older titles like SimCity had, this game lets you know what is going on through a Twitter-like feed, complete with hashtags
  • Many graphs
  • much like City in Motion games, Cities: Skylines has a fleshed-out transportation simulation. You can start out by putting down a bus depot, and then start laying out stops for your route right away, which you can change at any time
  • in this game, developing infrastructure costs money, planning out zones does not
  • when putting roads down, there are helpful grids that are displayed as well which show you the developable area attached to that road frontage -- this can help you optimize your grid

Cons
  • the UI can be a bit clunky -- working on roads can be a bit of a hassle as (thus far) I've found that the road will continue from where your last segment ended, and won't change until you click out of the road building tools on the toolbar
  • there's not a ton in the way of content at this point. This will be fixed through modding and DLC of course, and we do get a fair amount for a not-fully-priced game
  • trying to get things to snap to the grid can be a bit finicky -- there's also a bit of trial and error involved in finding out what the proper length of something should be if i want to square it up
  • my biggest criticism of the gameplay is that it's a bit too easy. My preference would be for something a little more difficult to master.
  • one of the things i do miss from other city building games is a day/night cycle
  • this kinda goes in with the too easy thing, but loans as structure make the game much less challenging at the start, and you probably won't ever need them again after a couple hours into the game

Flickr