View Single Post
Old Posted May 19, 2019, 3:00 AM
Unicorn Wizard!

Quote:
Also, people in Germany are very strict about obeying lane awareness. So that if you are going slow they will always stick to the right lane, and only go in the left lane to pass or if you are driving very fast. In the US, I hardly ever see people with enough lane awareness, and people drive slow in the left lanes, or just put on cruise control and hangout in the left lanes. Cars should only be in the left lane to pass quickly, or if they are going very fast.
The thing that bothers me about this is what do people in the right lane do when they need to pass but can't realistically catch up to the high speed of traffic cruising in the left lane?

Imagine you are driving a minivan at 70 mph. Up ahead is a truck only going 50 mph. You want to pass. But in the left lane there is a BMW going 120 mph. You wait for the BMW to pass, then there's another one, and so forth. Are you forced to drive really slow, so that someone else can drive much, much faster? Seems kind of unfair for "left lane for passing only" to not apply to everyone. What do you owe the guy in the BMW exactly, why is he entitled to go fast and take away your ability to get somewhere on time?

I have a seething hatred of people who drive really fast. It's incredibly dangerous. Imagine you activate your turn signal, then you check your mirror, then your eyes shift back ahead to your current lane for a moment. Then you move over. In that time someone could have whipped around you in a very fast vehicle and hit you as you get into that lane. I know some people here are car people, so I'll be a troll. But I mean it. Maybe governors should be required and no production car should be able to go over 90. What would be the harm in it? It would lower everyone's insurance, it would make traffic management easier, there would be no wild car chases, etc.