View Single Post
Old Posted Apr 8, 2021, 5:24 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
I hate malls but Montreal manages to elevate alot of the RESO into something interesting, stylish, impressive, airy, and attractive. Not all of it is nice but I have confidence that they will fix those bits.

PATH in Toronto is abysmal by comparison. In Toronto all they did was slap up miles of glass and marble and called it a day. It's mind numbing and soul destroying. Maybe one day PATH can be re-designed into a beautiful interior space but it's got a VERY long way to go before it's an attractive place. I don't have much faith that it will improve because they don't even think there's anything wrong with it.

They could do soooo much with PATH. Art installations, fountains, play with light, vertical tunnels to the surface, wider hallways, higher ceilings, greenery, sculptures, galleries, use of different materials, etc. but all they do is construct mils of boring sterile hallways lined with glass retail fronts. They have no clue about design.

Agreed. Parts of the RESO are utilitarian and/or awful, but there are many gems along the way, such as the curvy corridor with bricks, another upward-sloping corridor with bricks, but most of all, the eclecticism and the apparent lack of uniformity between the different sections. A few exceptions aside (e.g.,, brick and mortar walkups in Montreal, brownstones in Brooklyn, Hausmannian Paris), monotonous uniformity is one key ingredient in soul-suckingness. Whether above or below ground, cities are just more interesting when there is a mixture of styling and scale.

RESO:

https://montrealinpictures.com/

Last edited by MolsonExport; Apr 8, 2021 at 5:41 PM.