Thread: Old Halifax
View Single Post
Old Posted Oct 11, 2020, 4:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ns_kid View Post
Thank you for another group of evocative images, Mark.

It's interesting to consider what might have been, how many of those structures might have been saved or repurposed to better reflect the city's historic past. How fascinating it would be to step back in time to experience those buildings as they were. (Which is not to say many of them would have been attractive places to live or work. For example, consider the Roy Lohnes barber shop building at the corner of George and Lower Water; the businesses still operating despite the smashed windows and rotting siding above.)
That's an interesting observation. When looking further at that particular photo set on the Halifax Public Archives, it appears that these photos were taken shortly after a fire, but then a later photo shows the top two storeys over those shops having been removed, and a ghost of a roof on the taller building to the right, indicating that these shops may have originally been one storey with the two added on later, or the ghost roof shadow may have belonged to a completely different building. It's interesting to me that the entire structures were not torn down, and I wonder what became of the bottom floor shops after this (before they were all leveled for the law courts, that is).

When I look at these photos, it makes me wish that there had been the equivalent of Google streetview back in the day, as finding photos of any building in any particular time period is mostly a matter of luck - whether a photo was taken, and whether it is available in digital form on the internet...

Last edited by OldDartmouthMark; Oct 11, 2020 at 4:57 PM.