View Single Post
Old Posted Jun 11, 2022, 4:24 AM
He/his/him. >~<, QED!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
The Ivies have a much higher share of legacies, athletes and non-Americans than the elite publics. So even if the schools all had a common language for academic achievement, the Ivies would probably lean less Asian American.

For example, 18% of Princeton undergrads are recruited athletes. At the University of Michigan, it's less than 3%.

Columbia undergrad is 28% Asian American, but it's also 15% International, and the majority of International students are from Asia, so it's really probably approaching 40%.

There's this stereotype that the Ivies have Asian quotas, akin to the (very real) Jewish quotas in the early 20th century. It appears to be nonsense.
Are the majority of international undergradute students at Columbia Asian? That will be true at a place like Illinois, and also for graduate programs, but at Stanford (which has some of the best name recognition in East Asia...), I don't think the majority of the undergrad international population was Asian (My anectodal observation was that Europeans + Middle East international students were more common, though there were of course a fair number of Chinese, Korean, Indian and Singaporean students---oddly not that many Japanese...) This is partially because at least when I was there, there was no financial aid for international students.

Looking at top 10 nations is misleading, since there are a few large countries in Asia that will account for nearly all the Asian population, but the top 10 nations may not include the majority of international students.

(I agree with your general point though....)