View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 21, 2021, 5:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NB_ExistsToo View Post
You can see the setback here, it starts at the top of the third floor

20210109_131356 by Optimus Prime, on Flickr
I still think it is off but would have to see the finished product. Structured steel is hard on the eyes. LOL

The original design had a faux roof element (looks like the white/black element for the planters) which created a sense of visual alignment to the building heights on either side. If these are retained and are the heights of the original, it should not be an issue. In the second image, these look lower than the height of the roof line of the building beside it - perhaps an artist's mistake.

As a best practice in urban design, the first set back should appear aligned to the buildings on either side from a pedestrian perspective. In this scenario, from what I can see, it would be a three story podium with the fourth floor being set back OR the third floor being partially set back with design details to align the base of the fourth floor to the roofline of the buildings on either side. This is what the first design looks to be trying to do - and would be what most urban planners and designers would recommend.

From what I see, the fourth floor starts a few feet BELOW the roof line of the building to the left of it. So it will be interesting to see how this turns out. However, I'm nervous.

Last edited by Pugsley; Jan 21, 2021 at 5:29 PM. Reason: Adding context