View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 14, 2009, 11:37 PM
Movin' on up

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrynorthend View Post
I've heard this stated as "policy" many times before, but i suspect it is not so hard and fast. Ikea runs stores internationally in smaller areas than Halifax. Iceland comes to mind, the entire country has approximately half the population of Halifax. More than likely it is a stock answer by Ikea corporate PR when they have no immediate plans for release.

Ikea has also broached the subject of experimenting with a smaller (or at least medium-sized) format. Perhaps this is what is happening in Winnipeg. If indeed a Winnipeg store is going ahead. Both Halifax and Winnipeg (and many other cities) have been down this road before. I just searched the Ikea website and found no reference to plans for Winnipeg.
Winnipeg's new IKEA will be the biggest in Canada. And since it won't open for another 2-4 years, I doubt the website will post anything about it in the near future.

http://www.cpheraldleader.com/Articl...aspx?e=1350908

Manitoba has 1.2 million, but Winnipeg services people from Northwestern Ontario, Eastern Saskatchewan, North Dakota and Minnesota, bringing the numbers up to between 2-3 million people.