View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 17, 2024, 11:45 PM
¥ ¥ ¥

Quote:
Originally Posted by Docere View Post
I don't think the pattern applies in a majority of American cities. Though it does seem to be the case in Britain and continental Europe.

In Canada, Montreal and Vancouver are excellent examples of the affluent west/working class east split. Contrary to perception, it's not really true in Toronto, not today, not in the past either.

Also true in Ottawa and Calgary as well. Still, I think it's mostly a coincidence that exists primarily for other reasons - I'm skeptical that the prevailing winds theory is anything more than only tangentially related:

-Montreal's "east" end is really to the north of the "west" end - prevailing winds wouldn't significantly impact them. The more important factor is that like London, the east is downriver, and thus, where the port and resultant industry located.

-Vancouver's west side is on the open coast, with better access to the beaches and water; as well as the mild sea breezes. The east side is more inland, while its waterfront is more sheltered - which also made it the logical location for the port and industry.

-Calgary's west side is in the foothills, with better views and access to the mountains than the flat lands to the east.

-For Ottawa though, there doesn't seem to be as much of an obvious reason as to why west is richer than east. Still, it was never really a city with much heavy industry so the prevailing winds wouldn't have had much impact.