View Single Post
Old Posted Aug 17, 2018, 6:44 PM
1st Ward

While I am irked at the fact that this will be a presidential center and not a presidential library (whatever the actual difference may entail, prestige notwithstanding), I still believe this building will be a cultural icon that will attract tourists and investment dollars to the south side. Jackson Park is an underutilized and empty park that is partially in a state of disrepair. This will give people a reason to go there. No one is complaining that other museums (Field, Shedd, AIC, MSI, Adler) are all located on Park District property.

Yes, it sucks that the Obama's are going to be in NY/DC, but the center of gravity of politics and political fundraising is in those two cities, and they have clearly chosen to remain active post presidency, unlike Bush who has hidden himself in shame from the world, creating really weird and crude paintings. The nature of their occupation as a proactive former first family pretty much dictates their primary residence.

I'm fine with the placement of this structure, especially now that they have put the parking fully underground. The design sucks, and hopefully will be tweaked for the better. Otherwise, lets get this thing done already. All the petty lawsuits and stumbling blocks are starting to get really annoying.