View Single Post
Old Posted Aug 16, 2023, 9:37 PM
Doc Love 3.0

Saginaw is always going to have a place close to my heart I consider it my hometown. Though my parents did relocate back to metro detroit when I was born it was a family tradition to stop by when we went up north to stay with family friends in our old neighborhood. Have some really fond memories they had two daughters my age so it wasn’t one of those stuffy obligatory trips, more like a half step back into city life after camping at the beach.

They lived over on Weiss St back then there was an arcade & a bowling alley up at the corner it was a good place to hang out / grow up. They were really invested in the community, Mr Sampson was the principal of the local high school.

There’s likely more opportunity for Saginaw then it might seem Saginaw was doing decently well holding it’s own up till the end of the 80’s. The decline hasn’t been as long or steep as other Great Lakes industrial cities. That said the same forces that kept Saginaw going didn’t leave the same kind of great legacy cultural & educational institutions like in Detroit & Flint so the city needs to invest in urban cultural, higher learning institutions that other cities have the advantage of building off of.

With that said the last 30 years of decline and stagnation while other cities across the state have been on their way one step or another to experiencing a resurgence has left a disheartening vibe to the Bay Area. The recent seeds of revitalization are a good sign that won’t be left behind. There’s been a recent surge in population growth of Northern Michigan and the Tri-Cities are within a reasonable drive of some beautiful areas like Port Austin & especially the Tawas / Oscoda area. Saginaw has the chance to be the urban hub of an attractive affordable part of the state that has yet to really be a taken advantage of.

Three years after dam breaches, lakes are expected back by 2025

Quote:
Three years after devastating dam breaches rocked Midland and Gladwin counties on May 19, 2020, hope prevails, rebuilding continues, and the four Tittabawassee River lakes are expected back sooner rather than later.

“By 2025, all the lakes should be completely restored,” said Four Lakes Task Force President Dave Kepler.

Secord and Smallwood lakes are expected back in 2024, and Sanford Lake in 2025. Kepler said Wixom Lake was originally slated to return by 2026, but there is now a possibility to bring it back by 2025.

Kepler said Secord, Smallwood, Wixom and Sanford lakes and their corresponding dams in 2022 saw the completion of the recovery phase program, which entailed more than 30 projects. He said the Four Lakes Task Force has moved “solidly” into the restoration phase for all four lakes and their dams.

He said the milestones have included stabilizing the Secord, Smallwood, Edenville and Sanford dams and removing the debris from the bottomlands.