View Single Post
Old Posted Sep 18, 2015, 2:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by curnhalio View Post
'You know who' can go 'you know what'. (expletives implied)

I don't think this will make the wind at that corner that much worse, as there are already two tall-ish buildings on the corner. Demolishing the old QEH site did improve wind patterns here a bit. Does a 28 storey building affect the wind more than a 9 storey building?
To your question - Yes, depending on how it is designed The units facing each other in the two towers will be the least attractive spaces to buy/rent.
If HRM could force the two developers to build one building and wrap it around the corner the outcome would be much more attractive, but Halifax and metro politicians in general, has always lacked the vision of how to build a city and prefer to believe that if the market is left alone they will come up with the best solution. Other well designed cities long ago new the value of a well designed streetscape. I'm told the properties on Windsor are rooming houses with future development potential which makes me wonder why HRM doesn't ask for one development for most of the block. Short answer, the Mayor and Council don't have a clue about building a city that is attractive for all. A design competition for the whole block would be an interesting exercise, and combined with a moratorium of all development on that block.
And if HRM wants more people, and more children on the peninsula why do they persist in selling off the very spaces that are suitable for new schools ?
If HRM and the province is keen to entice more people to metro surely they should start to provide first class primary education centres with 'world class' design. Show me one school in HRM which has the wow factor of the new library.
Stop electing philistines.