View Single Post
Old Posted Jun 10, 2015, 11:58 AM
self-important urbanista

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHXflyer View Post
I'll agree with that. While I can see both sides, I've stayed at many boutique hotels in historic structures around the country that were owned and/or managed by local companies that lacked the vision and/or capital to run them the way they should be. That turns into an unfortunate circumstance when a grand building is poorly ran. I always felt that's what we would've had with the originall developers of Hotel Monroe. I saw their product at 44 Monroe firsthand during design and construction and was left with doubts as to their execution had they opened the hotel. At least here, there will be the backing of the Hilton name to keep up standards.

Now an Aloft, or Kimpton in the same space would've been my preference, but it takes all price points in a market and this is part of a true urban city. Dreaming big, I would've liked to get a Virgin Hotel, but that's far from the Phoenix market
Agreed. The Hotel Monroe plans seemed so ambitious that I had doubts about their viability even before the financing evaporated in the Mortgages Ltd. debacle. I've stayed in both Hilton Garden Inns and Hampton Inns in vintage buildings in urban environments around the country. They may not be quite as sexy as boutique hotels, but they offer stability and a mid-priced tier that helps draw conventions.