Baylor College of Medicine

Chamberlain college of medicine

Devry University

Houston Baptist University

Rice University

Texas Southern University

University of Houston

University of St Thomas
Not a lot of major (Tier 1) universities given the size of the region. Rice is really the best but it is small - it's too bad it could not double or triple in size. UH is okay but it has been an underperformer - I think it just got its Tier 1 status during the last 15 years and it can't compete with UT and Texas A&M in stature. Compared to DC, which is about the same size, there really is no comparison....Georgetown, American, George Washington, Virginia Polytech, U of Maryland,

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...ashington,_D.C.

It probably is hurting Houston by having a small number of elite universities. Houston has the biggest med center in the world but it's biomedical/pharma industry is very small and meager compared with SF and Boston, and even DC - I guess it is because it lacks the universities to draw in the talent. I think it is also hurting Houston to gain any technology industry traction - it's too bad Compaq was bought out by HP, which did mostly nothing with it. Compaq was one of the earlier tech companies to develop a smartphone/PDA.