View Single Post
Old Posted Oct 20, 2019, 2:31 AM
Inveterate Angeleno

Raise your hand if you live where you live mainly because it offers a convenient commute to your (current) job.

Quote:
Long commute: Why so many people choose to live in Fort Worth but work in Dallas

By Gordon Dickson
October 3, 2019

FORT WORTH

Grant Senter has a terrific job with a startup health care firm in Dallas, and yet he chooses to live in Fort Worth.

Each day, he spends three hours commuting, making the 43-mile trip to and from his home near Eagle Mountain Lake.

“We lived in Dallas for a year, and hated it. I like to say Dallas is like LA without the beach,” said Senter, 27, who has lived in Fort Worth for four years. “We love Fort Worth. My wife has a family business in Fort Worth, and we like the people and the food.”

Several commuters interviewed by the Fort Worth Star-Telegram affirmed that they prefer to live in Tarrant County because of its residential amenities.

Shortly after Prem Babbili moved from Kansas to North Texas in 1991, he moved to the Hurst-Euless-Bedford area. He bought a home in Hurst in 2003 — even though his new job was more than 20 miles away in Dallas.

“My wife and I chose the Mid-Cities area because they had a good school system, in the H-E-B school district,” said Babbili, who today still commutes to Dallas, where he now works as a financial analyst at UT Southwestern Medical Center. “We felt Dallas was too congested. In the Mid-Cities, we are in proximity of everything — shopping malls, theaters, and I have friends who live in the area.”

For years, Babbili made the hour-long drive from Northeast Tarrant County to Dallas, where he worked as a financial analyst for another employer. Even though the drive was grueling, he said it was worth it because he loved his Tarrant County neighborhood.

Another commuter, Michael Buster, lives in the Ridglea Hills neighborhood of west Fort Worth, and works about an hour and 15 minutes to the east as a commercial real estate underwriter. His office is near Central Expressway and Lover’s Lane in Dallas.

Buster had worked in Southlake, when his brother mentioned that a firm in Dallas was hiring for accounting positions. Buster took the new job, and for a few months drove back and forth to Dallas before he and his wife decided to move east.

But their relocation didn’t last long.

“I could walk to work, but, long-term, me and my wife weren’t really Dallas people,” Buster said. “We decided to move back to Fort Worth.”

Read more here: https://www.star-telegram.com/news/b...#storylink=cpy

— Jerome Bruner