View Single Post
Old Posted Jun 19, 2019, 2:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtown,man View Post
Ugh, yeah. Democrats laughed at Romney in 2012 for saying Russia is our biggest geopolitical enemy. Now they act like Putin is Hitler. They also hated free trade because it hurt union workers, now they remind me of the libertarian party when it comes to trade. The media will always be seen negatively for conservatives, for obvious reasons. But yeah, parties change platforms quite frequently. It might not go back exactly how it was, but it will more or less.
I'm not responding to the kneejerk Whataboutisms. The fact is that, policywise, the Republican party is the polar opposite of the party prior to Trump, and there is no reason for this switch except Trump. This hasn't happened in either party, ever. There has never been an policy inversion based on a personality cult.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtown,man View Post
Really, a very reductionist way of looking at it, where do you think those "country club" republicans will go after Trump? To the Democrats and their promise of higher taxes? Lets be real.
That's already happened. Wealthy suburban America turned blue, entirely due to Trump. No, they don't want higher taxes, but they don't want their kids dead or country destroyed either. There are worse fears than higher taxes.

Also, as I'm sure you're aware, the tax cuts were only for the extreme wealthy, and had nothing to do with Trump. Regular upper middle class suburbanites had little or no reduction in taxes, and few will trade democracy or their kids future for a few hundred less in annual taxes.