View Single Post
Old Posted Dec 17, 2016, 12:38 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Online buddy in Liverpool (he's never been here) said he was reading Jan Morris' description of St. John's in a travel book and it made him even more intrigued. I knew the cute "primitive San Francisco" quote that someone shared with me here, and that she considered us the most entertaining town on the continent, but not much more so I Googled.

First hit reminded me how far we've come.

My kind of town: St John's, Newfoundland

Quote:
Neither convincingly Canadian nor legally Irish, St John's occupies the rough waters between. It's infectiously ebullient (Jan Morris once said the city hits you like a slap in the face with a fish).

Where are your favourite places for lunch?

Tricky if you want to avoid the deep fried or heavily gravied. However, you can't go wrong with the seafood at The Gypsy Tearoom (195 Water Street; 739 4766) or Celtic Hearth (298 Water Street; 576 2880).
If you want an English pub with a Newfoundland accent, go to The Duke of Duckworth (325 Duckworth Street; 739 6344).
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/de...foundland.html

That was in 2005. Only a decade ago. And it was true. Things changed so, so fast. Those three places I would describe as basically Irish/British greasy spoons. Typical pub fare. And that was our best then.