View Single Post
Old Posted Nov 9, 2017, 5:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsbrook View Post
"Hold my beer." -Charlotte

In all seriousness, I would've agreed with you 2 years ago. But North Carolina has lost an estimated $3.6 billion from its transgender bathroom bill. Ringo Starr cancelled a concert there, the NCAA has avoided the state, the NAACP organized an economic boycott, and most significantly, PayPal abandoned plans to set up facilities in Charlotte that would have brought an estimated $2.66 billion to the state's economy. That's just a few examples. Now all the actor's could be lying, but the bathroom bill is their stated reasons. All things being equal, companies care about this stuff nowadays, and there are a lot of other concrete advantages that put other cities'states with more aligned social views on equal footing to Austin.
One issue with all the examples you cited with the exception of PayPal...they were individuals or organizations and not companies, so the rationale is not going to be exactly the same. Again, I think a potential bathroom bill that'll be out of the spotlight in 6 months is being overstated when Amazon is contemplating a major business move that'll involves dropping $5 Billion in investment....Call me a cynic, but I really don't think a theorized bill like this enters the equation with that much at stake monetarily.

Last edited by Raymond LuxuryYacht; Nov 9, 2017 at 6:06 AM. Reason: OCD