View Single Post
Old Posted Oct 23, 2019, 7:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wong21fr View Post
Hell. Screw the 2-year "reimagine RTD" study. Looks like they fell on the solution right here:

2) Knock off the bottom 10% of bus routes and replace the service areas with FlexRide. Which also knocks off the CDL requirement. Contract out FlexRide to to avoid union-imposed costs.
You're on the right track, no doubt. Apparently not everybody agrees - but I would.

Crisis Or Crossroads? No One Wants To Solve RTD’s Driver Shortage With Service Cuts
October 23, 2019 By Nathaniel Minor - CPR
Quote:
Just a few minutes into the RTD board’s discussion on a proposal to significantly cut service because of a pressing workforce shortage, one thing was clear: no one wants them.

Not the union reps, some of whom are drivers themselves, who sat in the audience of the Tuesday meeting. Not the staff who put together the proposal as more bus and trains runs are unexpectedly canceled. Not the riders, who board members noted rely on those buses and trains to get around. And certainly not RTD’s board of directors, who’d ultimately have to sign off on any service cuts.
What's wrong with this picture?
Drivers on the ride-share blog often complain "There's too many "ants" out there." Ride-share drivers refer to their fellow drivers as "ants." "I drove over to XYZ and there were ants on every corner."

Back to bus drivers; Nathaniel Minor/CPR has their back.

RTD’s Pre-Boom Driver Deal Is Part Of Why Your Train Didn’t Show Up Today
October 21, 2019

It's the classical Union wage plus nice benefits package that is the issue, always.

In any case I'm with you; have RTD cut 20% of their service and have a very well-paid team of professional drivers. That should fix everything?

Future Tip: there's another piece of your post that's spot-on I'll speak to later.