View Single Post
Old Posted Jul 8, 2011, 1:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waye Mason View Post
That is right at Graham's Corner, as we used to call it. 15 stories is what, almost triple the height of anything near there? Sure there is a Superstore right there, and the condos and hotel, but that is a lowish density, residential neighbourhood. I grew up at the top of that hill (up Celtic) so I have to say I want to see drawings and such.

Like always, it will depend on the ground level, how it faces the streets, and the quality of materials for me.

A secondary consideration is that it will have to pass an extensive wind study to make sure it does not frig with Banook and the paddlers.
A few things

- that article was pretty badly done - no real journalism there

- I doubt that there is even a foundation left from that misleading picture. when was that taken circa 1895. and even if it was around fifty years ago, I doubt it looked like that.

- in the bylaws, C2 allows any size or height for commercial like a hotel, without council approving.

- But he C2 doesn't let them build high density residential, so they're applying for rezoning and development agreement (giving HRM control)

- sounds like a wind study is done from the article and if you're use common sense and read wind about other proposals in the area there are no wind issues. This is way overplayed as an excuse.

- there are a few buildings across on lake banook that are around same height. also a couple by sullivan's pond. all around in other dartmouth places and halifax if you look.

- on bldg height this is so subjective and what's the difference between a 10 or 14 storey bldg, my neck stretches when I look up at a 3 storey building. give me space around the building and I'll take the height any day. Crazy how we keep building cheap squatty buildings.

- many parts of the area are run down, with of bad multi unit around the corner and some rough commercial. even a lot of the homes are being rented out. also crime was much worse in the area before superstore - this building would help

- this building is high end - that is obvious

- Everyone moves away from Dartmouth when they need a condo or they get older. No wonder the city is dying

It's a good offer by the builder and the residential building fits better. They should support and not oppose this.

Last edited by ibnem2; Jul 8, 2011 at 2:12 AM.