View Single Post
Old Posted Jul 12, 2013, 12:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
Paris, to me, has always seemed "blacker" than London, though it could be that the Metro/RER biases my observations, and perhaps the black population is more concentrated in Paris and inner suburbs compared to London.

Your numbers do show slightly more centralization of black popualtion in Paris compared to London, and I could see the Paris populations generally more centralized, because of the spatial makeup of the region compared to London.
That's my perception, too.

Brisavoine's stats are only including foreign-born, and not 2nd or 3rd generation people with sub-saharan African ethnicity or ancestry.

I suspect France has had African immigrants arriving over a longer period than in the UK which may be why you see far more black faces in France (and in my experience, not just confined to Paris).

Large scale migration from sub-Saharan Africa to the UK only really started after 1997 - before that, I'd imagine a significant proportion of the much smaller migrant numbers would be from the white colonial class, particularly those leaving S.Africa and Zimbabwe.

Looking up the stats, in 2009 there were 798,800 Black Africans in the UK (immigrants and their offspring) -whereas in France immigrants alone accounted for 669,401 - not strictly Sub-Saharan, but non-Magrehbi African. Outdated stats, but I actually wouldn't be surprised if the total figure of Black Africans in France was 3 times the British number.