View Single Post
Old Posted Feb 17, 2020, 1:25 PM
A gruff individual.

Location: Greenville, SC - "Birthplace of the light switch rave"
Quote:
Originally Posted by plinko View Post
Never been there. Looks nice. I've seen threads here on Winston-Salem, but I don't know that I've even seen Greensboro

When the Hurricanes moved to NC, didn't they play here? Is there still a full scale arena or does it sit unused?
According to what I could find, they played for a couple of years in the Greensboro Coliseum, which has been around since 1959 and isn't going anywhere... Thing is though, they displaced a popular local minor league hockey team, and knowing that this team actually belonged to the Triangle and not the Triad, and knowing they would be leaving for appropriate digs in their home turf in a couple of years anyway, people in the Triad didn't much care for them.

Regional rivalry is one thing that defines North Carolina. The Triangle and the Triad snub each other at parties, everyone snubs Charlotte and she snubs everyone in return, Fayetteville didn't attend the party because it's too busy shooting up and getting treated for another round of the clap, and Asheville and Western North Carolina usually aren't even allowed into the party and stand outside pleading silently, noses pressed to the window. Wilmington, refined old spinster that she is, usually just sits in the corner at the party, observing and clucking disapprovingly at the state of the youth of today. The only thing that unifies everyone is a shared hatred of the pig-farming areas in eastern parts of the state. Most of the state's most powerful politicians come from that area, and the rest of us just hate the way state money flows unimpeded to that part of the state before it goes anywhere else.
"To sustain the life of a large, modern city in this cloying, clinging heat is an amazing achievement. It is no wonder that the white men and women in Greenville walk with a slow, dragging pride, as if they had taken up a challenge and intended to defy it without end." -- Rebecca West for The New Yorker, 1947