View Single Post
Old Posted Oct 30, 2019, 7:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Via Chicago View Post
funny i dont see you saying this about the thousands of anonymous glass skyscrapers that make up our skyline and way of life. if youre gonna go this route, whats more c than this

I don't think I said that those building in the federal plasa aren't also de-humanizing. I would say they are as well, I think the building on that site there before was 1000% better, and would be a icon of city today. They tore it down for oppressive and de-humanizing buildings, that do have nice proportions at least. You can make modern buildings with classical orderly proportions, at least those look aesthetically nicer.

The dome of the old federal building was gilded which you can't tell from the black and white photos. The rotunda's 100 ft (30 m) diameter made it larger than that of the United States Capitol in Washington, D.C. Marble from Tennessee, Vermont, Maine and Italy was used in corridor floors, wainscoting and stairways. Floors in the rotunda were marble accented with mosaic tile while railings and elevator grilles throughout the building were wrought iron. Ceilings were framed by egg-and-dart mouldings. The four courtrooms on the sixth floor contained a series of murals depicting historical moments in the development of law. I wish I could have seen that building. I think a building like that would uplift people in any age and for all time.

I think a great example of a modern building that is uplifting is the Oslo city hall.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oslo_City_Hall

It is built with modern design and methods, but has beautiful artwork and murals that uplift the spirit of humanity, and give you a faith in government that is sorely lacking in the US. It's like a temple to humanism and good government. I would have liked to see Obama incorporate some elements from that building.

Last edited by Baronvonellis; Oct 30, 2019 at 7:21 PM.