View Single Post
Old Posted Aug 26, 2010, 6:34 PM
Promoting Nova Scotia

Location Location!

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
I think the best site is on the large field by Robie Street (Gorsebrook I guess). The site is close to Dal, SMU, and the downtown. Putting it near Young Street would likely also work, and would provide a good impetus for some other improvements.

I dislike the idea of putting the stadium in the suburbs somewhere next to a highway. That kind of development promotes sprawl, leads to less interesting venues, and is not necessarily even any better from an accessibility point of view. The Common worked fine for a concert with 50,000 people with very little purpose-built infrastructure - lots of people can just walk, the city's easily served by transit, and there are plenty of nearby roads and parking spaces.

Supporting a CFL franchise in Halifax seems like a foregone conclusion, given a stadium. Not sure it's worth the public funds, however.
Location is a huge issue......
Personally I do not favour a peninsula location....HRM rarely experiences 20,000 or 30,000 or 40,000 ppl entering or leaving a stadium at once. I can tell you it would be a very big disruption given the limited road structure in place now.....and Yes we have all see it work for the few times HRM as had the big events.....but everyone leaves with it for the day....can you imagine for a minute every second weekend for a CFL game plus summer/fall concerts!
If you want to help a successful team like a CFL ownership group....they have to sell tickets....after the first game and for many years......

Just to comment on the public funds aspect.....CFL ownership would be a leasing arrangement. The Stadium would have to be built with totally public money....then you need private/corp sponsorship for naming, advertising, running concessions, parking and lease the facilities out to CFL, Universities, Promoters for concerts etc etc....that how it all works.....So in a nutshell the operations would be supported the rentals, the renters make money by selling tickets....and we the public buy the tickets to see the great and wondurous events that would take place there.....