View Single Post
Old Posted Jun 27, 2008, 4:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
I don't think there are "bad" materials.. the materials just need to fit the design.

With precast specifically problems arise when developers pretend it is real stone. It's not - the detailing is not as precise as with older stone buildings in Halifax, the pieces are larger, and the colours and texture are not the same. If it is used to replicate an old stone building it therefore ends up looking like a caricature.
Architects might call this being "true" to the materials. And I agree. Besides, if you rule out brick and precast... what does that leave you with?! Fake stone (tacky imitation). That weird concrete board being used on Spice (I'll reserve judgement for now). That horrible board and baton cladding on the new Hyrdostone Apartments. Shingles (only suited to residential). Claps (also only suited to residential). Titanium (only suited to buildings designed by Frank Gehry). Corrugated Metal (only suited to buildings designed by Brian MacKay). Stone (only suited to developers with scads of money). The only practical alternative is probably pre-cast. And there have been some nice buildings done with pre-cast.