View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 16, 2021, 8:21 PM

The finances of CFL teams will not work unless full capacity at stadiums is approved by all provincial governments. This was the case last year and nothing has changed last I checked. Teams do not derive sufficient revenues from sponsorships and the tv deal to compensate for crowds in the 5 - 10,000 range.

With that said, I expect to see a noticeable drop in crowds should the season commence with a 10-12 game schedule in late August/early September (best case scenario imo). Many past and potential ticket holders have experienced economic setbacks during the COVID crisis and as a result will have to cut back, or even outright eliminate, their discretionary spending.

While cheaper than the big-4 sports leagues an CFL outing is hardly a cheap experience. Easily one hundred dollars for a pair of OK tickets alone, not including parking and concessions. A good portion of the CFL live audience are working and middle class - a group that collectively experienced
negative economic outcomes during the pandemic.

If a 2021 season comes to pass, I think average crowds will decrease by 3,000 per game. All pro sports will experience this decline, even in the big-4.